Caring for people is what we do. The vision of St. John’s United is every day for every age there is healing, meaning and purpose. Volunteers are a vital part of bringing this vision into focus. From musical entertainment to driving, individual visits to administrative help, volunteers enrich the lives of our elders in many different ways.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Form new relationships
- Share your talents
- Grow personally and professionally
- Make a difference
- Be part of the mission to create living opportunities
within nurturing environments of hope, dignity and love
Apply to Volunteer!
Click the links below to apply and learn more about our volunteer opportunities.
Adult Application 18+
Youth Application 13+
Already a volunteer? Sign in here.
There are many ways you can contribute to healing meaning and purpose. Whether you would like to volunteer regularly, with a group, or one time, there is something for everyone.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY OF THE MONTH:
Volunteer drivers help take people where they need to go. Many of our residents have stopped driving and our volunteers help to keep people mobile, primarily bringing them to personal appointments. Drivers are also needed for activities and special events. Volunteers will need to be able to safely drive the company Honda CR-V, Toyota Sienna, or 12 passenger coach; CDL NOT required!
Location: West End, Billings Heights, and Laurel Campuses
Time commitment: Shifts available Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays between 8- 4:30 and after hours for special events; minimum commitment of 4 hours per month
Qualifications and requirements: Background and Driving Record Check, personal driving insurance, copy of Drivers License, TB Test, Flu Shot, Local Vehicle Training
Main Campus on the West End
- Care Cart Attendant at Transitional Care North
- Dining Room Assistant
- Elder Khaver – Visiting Volunteer
- Men’s Coffee Host
- Musical Entertainment
- Vigil Coordinator
- Vigil Volunteer
- Hospitality Volunteer
Wyndstone in Billings Heights
- Devotions Leader
- Wii Bowling Host
- Musical Entertainment
The Crossings in Laurel
- Bingo Caller
- Musical Entertainment
*Certain volunteer positions require a regular commitment, background check, and health screenings.
- Complete the online volunteer application
- Attend orientation
- Come in to meet our Volunteer Coordinator for an intake interview. We would like to get to know you and ensure we find just the right placement for you, where you can also find healing, meaning, and purpose.
- Once you have accepted a position, you may need to complete requirements provided by St. John’s such as: background/driving screening, TB skin test, flu shot, training classes.
- Meet your supervisor and get started!
- Children aged 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult relative, teacher, or designated representative at all times after the adult has successfully completed the new volunteer requirements.
- Youth aged 13-14 may volunteer without a parent or guardian only during designated group activity times as identified by the Activities Director and must attend the Youth Volunteer orientation. Parents are encouraged to attend orientation. Youth groups and school classes must be accompanied by the group leader or teacher.
- Youth aged 15-17 may be assigned independent volunteer positions and schedules and must complete all intake steps including: youth volunteer orientation, intake interview, and all other requirements for the position assigned.
St. John’s welcomes groups on campus! The group leader should complete a group application and is strongly encouraged to attend orientation.
Music provides healing and our elders love to have performers of all kind come and share their gifts. If you are an individual, please fill out the applicable adult or youth application. Once we receive your application we will pair you up with the appropriate Life Enrichment team member for scheduling.
What is required to volunteer?
All volunteers must complete an application, most will have an orientation, and intake interview. Depending on the volunteer position you are assigned, you may be required to submit to a Background Check, TB Test, Flu Shot, driving record screening, or additional training such as CPR. All tests and training are provided at no cost to the volunteer.
When can I volunteer?
We are a 24/7 hour facility and have a diverse array of opportunities available during the day, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
What are your age requirements?
We accept volunteers of all ages. Please check the “How to volunteer tab” for the breakdown of youth volunteer opportunities.
Where can I volunteer and how many positions can I hold?
You may volunteer at one of all of our locations. Our volunteer coordinator will work with you to find a schedule and opportunities that fit your lifestyle.
What if I want to change positions or locations?
Our vision of healing, meaning, and purpose extends to our volunteers and our hope is that volunteering at St. John’s is an enriching and rewarding experience. You may contact our Volunteer Coordinator at any time to reevaluate your placement or apply for a new position.
Director of Volunteer Services
To inquire about volunteering, please fill out the Contact Form.